How motherhood increases creativity [with Mayi Carles]
On episode six of the Kin show, I'm publishing a conversation with artist Mayi Carles from 2016. At the time, her child was just a few months old, and she was starting the return to her work as an artist at the time we spoke. I loved her approach to how motherhood and creativity complement each other, and how she took such a gentle approach to her post-baby world. Being a new mom is not easy feat, and being a a new mompreneur adds another level of complexity to the mix.
Topics mentioned throughout the show:
- The gratification of feeling needed by our children
- How children change our aspirations and appreciation of the present moment
- Blog post by Mayi: Juggling Life As Girl Boss and New Mommy (Plus My Top 20 Comeback Tips
- Why children become part of and change our work
- How kids change our sleep patterns forever—even when they're fast asleep
- The benefits of getting bored in her career life
- How she chooses what to share online and what to keep private
- "You want to work like you never had children and you want to be a mom like you don’t have a business." — Mayi Carles
- Living the tension between super-mommy and girl-boss harmoniously
- The effects parenting has on the ego
Thanks for tuning in to this episode of the Kin podcast! New episode coming next week.